posted on: Thursday, December 9, 2010



 I am so excited to welcome our next featured guest. Candice, from Meal Makin Momma, is here today to teach us how to make bread in canning jars! Yes, I said it...canning jars! You can say, "Get out of here, that is fa-reaking awesome!"

*********************************************************************************

This is my Great Grandmothers' banana bread recipe that I've spiked with orange flavoring... I was a little worried about this experiment but I am SO happy I tried it... It is DELISH!  And for a twist on  "Plane Jane" bread loaves I decided to bake it in canning jars for a fun way to gift them, this also allows you to bake more at a time if you'd like.

You will need:
  • 1/2 cup of vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 medium ripe bananas
  • 4-5 teaspoons orange zest
  • 4-5 wide mouth pint canning jars

First preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  
Cream the shortening, sugar, and brown sugar.  Then add the eggs one at a time and mix well.
Measure in baking powder, baking soda, & salt.  Slowly add the flour while mixing.

Mix well.
 Next peel and break up the bananas into a bowl.

With a fork mash the bananas well.
Wash and zest an orange with micro grater or the smallest holes on your cheese grater.  I like my micro grater! 

 Dump bananas and zest into mixture and mix again.

Spray your clean canning jars with Pam or Crisco spray.  You will need 4-5 jars for this recipe.
Fill them 1/2 full with the batter...DO NOT FILL FULLER!  Wipe off the threads and top of the jar so they are clean.
Now place in your preheated oven directly on the oven racks.  They may not bake evenly if you bake them on a cookie sheet.  Just make sure there is space between them.  Bake for about 40 -45 minutes.  Be sure to use a toothpick to check them.  While baking, start simmering the canning jar rings and lids.

I am not taking any other pictures of the inside of my oven... It's as clean as I could get it, I promise and it's probably twenty years old.

Once your bread is cooked take them out of the oven and immediately place lids and rings on the hot bottles.  This should seal them as they cool. 
Once cooled complelty decorate till your little hearts desire.  (Mod Podge cute paper around them, wrap with a ribbon and put a bow on top,... whatever you can imagine.) 
Stick a gift tag on it and gift it away.
But don't forget to keep one for yourself!!!

They will slip right out of the jar with no problem.

***********************************************************************************
Isn't Candice amazing?!

I can't believe how simple this idea is, and how wonderful it would be to gift these to my friends and neighbors for Christmas!

So ya'll need to go over to Candice's blog and give her some love.

BTW her blog is brand spankin' new but she already has some amazing ideas and recipes up that I am sure she would looooove to share with all of you!

So what are you waiting for?! Go find an amazing recipe to impress you hubby, punks....and your mother-in-law ;)

1 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I have made "Cake-in-a-jar" a few Christmas' ago and we sent them to the troops so they could have fresh homemade cake. Such a great gift!

    ReplyDelete

Spunky Junky All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger