Stick a Pin in it: glass etching

posted on: Wednesday, January 18, 2012


 Howdy Ho!

Welcome to another week of "Stick a Pin in it."

Each Wednesday I highlight a project I did during the week using inspiration gained from Pinterest, hence "pinspiration."

 This week I took a fun idea from 7th House on the Left (a super cute DIY Home blog...a must to check out). Originally, their idea used frosted vinyl on a door, I was more inspired to take vinyl and use it to etch my name into my baking dishes.

I don't do much baking, but personalized dishes sounded fun...
 For this project you will need:
Silhouette Cameo (or another cutting machine of choice)
Vinyl

 I designed each bake dish on my Silhouette Cameo, once I had the right dimensions I then printed (or cut) out my design then I laid each design on the back side of my baking dish.

***VERY Important***
For aesthetic purposes I have my designs going from right-to-left so you can see what they look like. But actually I cut out the design with the words backwards so that when you look in the dish you can read it properly.

Capiche?

If you want a great tutorial on how to use vinyl and the Silhouette visit these lovely ladies.

Once I put the etching cream over the glass I let it sit for 15-20 minutes then I washed it off and voila!
For this dish I used:
Fonts: Honey Script and Levenim MT
Bunting: 3 banners by Silhouette

For this dish I used:
Fonts: Honey Script and Geosanslight
Polk-a-dots: medium circle pattern by Silhouette

Enjoy!

Also, if you sent me an email wanting a Pinterest invite and still haven't got one yet please email me again...last week I got inundated with emails so I may have missed it. Sorry folks :)

***************************************
If you've been inspired by Pinterest I would love to see you projects too!

Please feel free to link away, BUT....
*Only link to a specific post
*make sure your post includes what pinterest idea inspired you!

Thanks ya'll!
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Awesome job on the etching! Thanks for the chance to link up as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it!! Such a great idea. I hate when I take food somewhere and never get my dish back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know glass etching was so easy (or at least you make it seem easy). I'll have to try that out! Thanks for the post Halsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a smart idea! You'll always get your dish back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are the dishes safe for oven use after etching I mean heat wise once the glass has been etched? I have really been wanting to do some of these as gifts but I wasn't sure. Love your designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also wondering the safety of this. I have heard that it can disrupt the bond on dishes such as pyrex. Have you had any issues? I would hate to give as a gift and have it explode!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    So once you stick the vinyl on the glass, you cover the glass around the vinyl with the etching cream? Im a bit confused. Please help. Wanting to do this for my step mother for Christmas!
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Spunky Junky All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger