The No-Kissin' Tom and Cuc Salad

posted on: Friday, September 9, 2011

Howdy Ho!

Lately, my blogging has been less then stellar. Maybe it is the great weather that has kept me from my computer (I wish this was my excuse).

 But I feel that a large portion of my blogging time has been spent in my studio where I live 24-7. I have been so busy making orders, re-adjusting designs, and filling bulk purchases that I have been neglecting my tutorials and blogging.

I promise with Farmer's Market Season near its' end I will be back in the full swing again. There are some awesome giveaways lined up and some a-mazing tutorials I am dying to show you!

************************

Yesterday, I was again plowing away on the sewing machine when I realized that the day was so beautiful that it should be a crime to keep Punk locked inside.

So we loaded ourselves in the pick up and headed out to my in-laws farm for a breathe of fresh air.

 My in-laws have mastered the art of having "a green thumb."

They have a green house that is chuck full of grapes, egg plants, cucumbers, tomatoes, flowers, peppers, and strawberries. I love just going in their because the moment you open the door your senses are overhwhelmed with the fresh aroma of produce.

 
Outside, they also have a garden with more of the "fall variety" produce such as pumpkins, squash, corn, and onions.

Their little oasis also consists of a wonderful orchard where we spend the fall season picking plums and apples.

It's basically like a free babysitter when I go out there because Punk has a place to run and play freely while I graze through the vines and plants.
 While we were out yesterday I came to the realization that we need to spend more time learning the names of animals...
Punk kept trying to pick up the cat and eventually the cat rolled on it's back trying to escape his grasp. At that point he figured, "Heck, why don't I just lay on you then?" The cat didn't find it nearly as amusing.

As the cat took off Punk kept yelling, "Puppy! Puppy!" I kept saying, "Babe it's a kitt-ee. Can you say kitt-ee." But, he kept yelling "Puppy" and until he found the horses and then would turn around with a big grin and say "Moo Moo."

Apparently we have an issue with the proper terms for animals.

While Punk kept chasing the "puppies" I made my way to the garden where I found a plethora of tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions. Usually I settle for making a salad or stew, but yesterday I wanted something a little more refreshing that incorporated all of these ingredients.

I settled on making a salad.

While I have had many versions of this salad I finally put together a recipe that I love.

Here's what you'll need:
1/2 onion
2 large tomatoes
1 cucumber
2 TBS olive oil
splash of lemon juice
large drizzle of Red Wine Vinegar (not in picture)
salt and pepper

I'm not good with measurements, it you couldn't tell....
 First, begin by chopping up the onion, tomatoes, and cucumber.

 Once the ingredients have been chopped, put them in a serving bowl and pour the olive oil on top.

 Then take your red wine vinegar and lightly drizzle it over the entire salad. You can add more later if you feel like it needs some extra zing!

 Then splash a small amount of lemon juice on the salad.

Once finished add salt and pepper to taste and mix the salad together.

Chill for 1 hour then serve with your favorite dish.
You might want to keep tic-tacs close by because this salad will give you some oniony breathe--probably not the best choice for first dates ;)


BTDub if you haven't let a message sign up to win 500 FREE sheet of customizable letterhead paper from UPrinting the giveaway ends tonight!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Spunky Junky All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger