Repairing Wood Dents and Holes

posted on: Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Really guys, I am not forgetting to show you my dining area. I really, really, big time really want to, but I am containing myself and believe me my will power is weak sauce these days.

However, I promise it will be revealed next week.
 I was asked to particpate in the  ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock™ Paint Line Protector Link Party and the main focal point of my new dining area is my project for this fab event that will be showcased next Thursday. So I kind of need to hold off on the reveal until then if that's fine with you?

;)


 Hopefully, as I assumed you all have guessed, the focal point of my dining area is my table. Sometimes it is covered in so much crap that you wouldn't know a table was there--but believe under all the mess lies a perfectly good table.

A perfectly good table that I actually traded in for a junker treasure that my sister found on the side of the road.

gasp*

Hunk about flipped a lid when I told him I was getting rid of our table for one that was found on the street.

But where other's see trash I see junk that deserves some spunk, eh?

So as I began scoping out my "new" table making sure it functioned properly and would not topple over with a glass sitting on it, I came to realize that it was a  treasure made a solid wood and metal fixtures--kind of hard to come by these days without having to spend lots of moo-lah.

As I began changing my junk into a one-of-a-kind beauty I noticed a few "dings" that were so ghastly looking that I knew I needed to fix them. I am all for the hammered effect-I am not, however, for the gaping hole the size of the Great Salt Lake effect though.
 My sister recommended purchasing Elmers Wood Filler, which they had used on some doors in their house. When purchasing my wood filler I made sure to look for a filler that was paintable and sandable. No point in filling something in if you can't make paint it to look the same, right?
 I then used a thick piece of cardboard to stick in the table half so that when I puddied the hole I would still have a straight line.

 capache'?
 Once the filler dried (I let it sit overnight) I used a light weight sandpaper bar to smooth it out.
 I also used 3M's General Purpose Sandpaper to make sure I kept my straight edge on the table. By rotating between the two different types of sandpaper I was able to create a more smooth look that blended well with the table.
 This process would have been alot easier if I had just done it before I painted the table, but hindsight is 20/20...and I am always up for making my steps then needed.

;)

Once finished I then repainted, stared at my project for about five minutes all the while patting myself on the back, then I went inside, came back out stared at my table again. Went inside, and repeated this same process probably ten times. I am really in love with my new dining room table.

It's a deep and abiding love.
Hopefully, you'll fall in love with it too because the big reveal will happen in T minus seven days and I can't wait for you to see the before/after pictures.

They're priceless, I tell ya!

Happy Hump Day Friends!
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Spunky Junky All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger