Walnut Wreath

posted on: Thursday, November 17, 2011

Howdy Ho, Friends!

Are you getting excited for the weekend yet?

I know it's not Friday, but around here everyone is getting ready for the football game of the year. We love football--especially Cat/Griz.

Go Cats!

So while I am preparing the food and festive activities for this weekend I thought I would share another one of my simple, but fun Christmas tutorials.

*******************************

I did it. I jumped on the bandwagon. I mean, really, who wouldn't? I have seen them all. Lima bean wreaths, hazel nut wreaths, candy wreaths, feather wreaths, cupcake wreaths--wreaths, wreaths, wreaths.


So I did it, I gave in and made a walnut wreath.

 The supplies are simple. However, finding walnuts proved to be a more difficult venture. I am sure you will have better luck finding them then I did. I finally found some at Wally World...go figure ;)


 So I bought four bags of the JUMBO walnuts. I am not a walnut expert but they are big guys! I ended up using every single one; so if you use a ten inch wreath form then you may want four bags as well.


 I started off by gluing the walnuts to the wreath. I made sure to also glue the walnuts to each other for added support.


Fairly simple, right?

When I finished my wreath weighed the size of a small large country.


I knew I wanted to coordinate my wreath to match my Christmas colors so I gave it a coat of Kilz Primer as well as a nice cover of Krylon white spray paint

 the spray paint obsession continues.....


 While the wreath dried I sorted through some fan-tabulous ornaments that I picked up at Wal-Mart. I decided to use these ornaments to embellish the wreath.

The best part about these little guys is that they were only a dollar a piece.


Sparkly, cute, and cheap, what could be better?


 I then took my nifty glue glue and stuck the ornaments to the wreath, added a coordinated ribbon and hung the sucker on our front door!


Voila!

Update: Because this wreath is so heavy make sure that the ribbon is very secure. I had a near scare last year. Now, that it has a better ribbon it has hung on a peg in my basement all year without falling.

FYI.... don't forget to enter this week's lovely giveaway from Shabby Apple!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the way this turned out. I think blue and green are fantastic holiday season colors. I would never have thought to glue the walnuts down and then spray paint them. I probably would have waste tons of time spraying them all first. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very pretty. What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete

Spunky Junky All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger