Mod Podge is a girls best friend....next to chocolate;)

posted on: Monday, August 16, 2010

I went through this phase a few years ago where I bought a million metal stars. My hunk would say that I went through a phase where I bought a lot of useless junk...I would say to him, "you have no vision, and you are an accountant." The conversation never went well after that remark. Anyway....

Now, that we have moved into a new house and barnyard red is no longer the main color in my house I knew I needed to either re-vamp my trusty stars, or say good-bye. "GOOD-BYE!" Heck no. So I dediced I would try turn my drab stars into something fab!



I grabbed a few items from around the house and decided to "re-design" the stars. So the main cast of characters included:


Metal Stars (duh) ;)


Mod Podge...


Martha Stewart Flower Punch..or any shape you want.

You will also need:
*scrapbooking paper
*scissors


Now to get this look I followed a few simple steps:


*First, I cut out pieces of scrapbook paper to match each point. I ended up having five pieces that kind of resembled diamonds.
*Once I cut out the pieces I laid them on each point and fold them so they fit perfectly on each point.
*Then I removed them from the star and covered the entire star with Mod Podge.
*Quickly, but with ease, I laid each piece of scrapbook paper on its designated point.
*As it dried I put another layer of Mod Podge over the top to hold the pieces in place.

Now for the butterfly punch:
*Once the paper had dried to the star I began to punch out butterflies from either the same scrapbooking paper or from coordinating paper (I did both).
*Once I had my butterflies cut out I began to fold their wings inward to give them some dimension
*Once they were folded I put a tiny dab of Mod Podge on the "body" of the butterfly and then stuck them to the star.
*VERY IMPORTANT. I didn't glue the butterfly wings to the star, just their bodies. It gave the butterflies more dimension and it looked as though they had landed on the star.

the final outcome looked like this!


After I had finished both stars, I let them dry and then hung them in little punk's room.

What a great way to still keep my rusty ol' barn stars by revamping them into something new and trendy!

2 comments:

  1. Cuuuute! I have some of these stars sitting around...I'll have to give them a makeover! Thanks for the inspiration! Your blog is so fun!

    NatSprat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I passed up box of "patriotic" stars at the Goodwill a few weeks ago... I could kick myself! I'm an accountant, so I just couldn't ENVISION the possibilities... I'm changing professions! Thanks for the fun stuff here - You are adorable! Merry Merry - Debbie (deborahrah@blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

Spunky Junky All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger